Monday, February 7, 2011
By: CAMELLIA JEFFERY
"This quick and easy no-chocolate brownie recipe takes 15 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to bake."
Original Recipe Yield 16 squares
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 8x8 inch pan.
2. Combine shortening and milk in large saucepan. Place over low heat until shortening melts. Remove from heat, add the brown sugar and egg. Stir until well blended.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into sugar mixture. Stir in vanilla and nuts. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool and cut into 2x2 inch squares.